Friday, August 21, 2015

Perfect

I finally understand why you hate it
The overzealous discipline
The taking it too seriously
The endless toil
The futile pursuit

All in the name of "perfect"

I loved it for a long time
I sought until I could not see
I ran until I could not stand
I sang until I could not speak

Poured everything I had
Into everything I did
And painted perfect pictures of everything I wanted

Even of you
All the things that worked mattered
All the things that didn't didn't
Beautiful moments engraved
Painful moments erased

And I ran after that perfect image of you endlessly never getting any closer but always believing I could one day lay next to her and watch the clouds

Until I could not

I wish it had been earlier
I had known you earlier
I had believed you earlier
I had tried to fix this earlier

I hate it too now
But it's too late to stop trying
So I am stuck chasing you and chasing this abstract idea
Pouring everything into nothing
Never to be happy

So used to the perfection in my mind that nothing in this imperfect world could ever hope to make staying in it at all worthwhile

So if you find my body
Sleeping below an imperfectly tied knot
Wincing at imperfectly drawn lines
Crying by an imperfectly pulled trigger

Bury me anyway
And write on my gravestone:

I was not perfect
And neither are you
And I guess that



is ok

No comments:

Post a Comment