Wednesday, July 8, 2015

My Love for Music as an Art

        So this is the first piece of something very different in focus from the rest of my writing and more conversational rather than expressive or presentational. Late at night toward the end of June I was lying awake and just aimlessly browsing genre tags on a music website called Bandcamp when an idea struck me. Just as an aspiring novelist strives to read the work of numerous great writers before him or her, I as an aspiring poet and songwriter should take in as much new and different music as possible. So I set a goal for myself for the month of July to listen to a new album every single day, and now I've decided to share bits and pieces of that experience here.
        For the first week I decided to do something very similar to what lead me to this idea, and listen to albums from a fairly wide variety of genres, often genres I'd never heard of or ones previously dismissed. I expected to enjoy a large majority of the music I found and indeed I did but there was something that surprised me. I loved and appreciated all of it as art even if I didn't enjoy it, and I experienced so much more of the intense and complex emotions music can evoke as an art form.
        I found songs that made me want to be in a crowd at a concert (Art School Wannabe), songs that made me want to just let go and dance (Always Leaving). I found songs that reminded me both of my own personal highs (let (1)) and my own personal lows (You Are My Sunshine). I found songs that made me feel subtly uncomfortable (a line falls on two lines), songs that made me feel not-so-subtly uncomfortable (all of Angel-like Contraction Reverse).
        Feelings like that are what make music so important to me, it has an ability to rip the mundane and the monotony out of life and make it a truly varied experience. Whether you share my deep love for music or it's just background noise for your life I'd strongly recommend that you take time at some point to look for something new, you might be surprised at the interesting things you can find.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Albums of this week: 


Joy, Departed by Sorority Noise
Oblivion Songs by Divine Circles 

I Love You, This Is A Robbery by Spoonboy
Angel-like Contraction Reverse by Nac/Hut Report
Let by Water Gun Water Gun Sky Attack 
Somewhere in the Sierra by alone.
Run the Jewels by Run the Jewels 

No comments:

Post a Comment